We introduced the onigiri wrapper where the nori seaweed is covered by plastic in the last blog post, but even without it, you can handmade your own wrapper using aluminum foil and masking/washi tape, which can be also found at Maido!
We offer Halloween masking/washi tapes in addition to non-seasonal patterns.
Materials and ingredients:
Onigiri of your choice
1 sheet of nori seaweed (either the full size or onigiri size)
Aluminum foil (10"/25 cm wide)
Oil of your choice (rice oil, olive oil, sesame oil, etc.)
Directions of how to wrap:
1. If you have a full-sized nori, cut it into three pieces to make the size for onigiri.
2. Nori tastes better if you roast a little, unless you are already using a very high quality nori.
3. Cut a piece of aluminum foil long enough to form a square. Place the aluminum foil with the jagged edges on the left and right. (Cut the aluminum foil at the jagged cutout on the box, so you will be able to open the onigiri easily later in the same way as the jagged cutout on a bag of candy.) Fold back the edge of the masking tape by about 0.2"/5 mm.
4. Place the masking tape in the middle of the aluminum foil with the folded side about 2.7"/7 cm out from the aluminum foil.
5. Turn over the aluminum foil with the masking/washi tape attached and place the nori seaweed in the middle.
6. Fold the edges of the aluminum foil so that they overlap in the middle by about 0.1"/3 mm. Spread a thin layer of oil on the foil with a brush except for 0.8"/2 cm from the edge. You can also use a paper towel instead of a brush to apply a thin layer of oil.
7. Place the onigiri on the aluminum foil on the side of masking tape sticking out.
8. Fold the aluminum foil to cover the front of the onigiri and hold it in place from above. Make sure not touch the tape. If oil gets on the tape, it will peel off easily without being touched.
9. Fold the bottom side of aluminum foil over and fasten it with the masking/washi tape. If you use a weak adhesive tape, you might need some extra tape to cover the foil. Touching the tape with greasy hands will weaken the adhesive, so use double-sided tape in such cases.
10. Fold and wrap the remaining two corners so that the nigiri is covered and not visible. It is ready!
Directions of how to unwrap:
The way is the same as how to unwrap Maido's rice ball. 1. Hold the end of the masking tape on top and pull it around. 2. Hold the opposite side with one hand and pull out the aluminum foil (either right side or left side). 3. Pull out the other side of aluminum foil in the same way as step 2. 4. Fold the top part of nori seaweed and it is ready to eat!
Black Cat Onigiri
Black cat onigiri can be made by using nori seaweed. This is a great recipe for a Halloween party. It is easy and can be made with children.
5.6 oz./160 g of rice
A pinch of salt
Fillings of your choice
1 sheet of nori seaweed
A few slices of cheese
0.8"/2 cm x 8 strips of Angel Hair or thin spaghetti (lightly roasted in a toaster oven)
Plastic wrap (optional)
1. Mix rice with salt, place 1/2 of the rice on a plastic wrap, place the filling in the center and grip it round and round. Wrap nori around the rice and wrap again in plastic wrap to blend. If you do not have the plastic wrap, you can do it with your bare hands or latex gloves.
2. Make eyes and a nose with sliced cheese and nori seaweed by cutting them and paste them on what you made in step 1.
3. Make ears with sliced cheese and nori seaweed by cutting them in triangles. Cut slits in the onigiri and clamp them in.
There is a lot of food items, housewares, stationery, and gifts available at the store and our online store, Maido! Kairashi Shop, where you can place your order for shipping or store pickup! Happy shopping. :)